Sunday 7 July 2013

OMG. You're missing the POINT!

I've gotten a load of complaints on Katachi being too overpowered. 'He shouldn't be that powerful! It makes the story boring!'

The thing is, that's the level of ridicule the Words of Power are. Katachi's  is simply 1 of the 292 Words of Power. And it's not even a powerful Word of Power, when I get to the point where he actually battles what would be the toughest enemy in the story - The Scholar that wields the ultimate Word of Power, the one with the highest precedence level.

I really feel like using a spoiler as an example, but I don't want to. Imagine what the world would become if other people, like Katachi, set out on their own journeys to collect these Words of Power.

Imagine if their precedence levels, and knowledge of their own words, are even higher than Katachi's. And, Katachi has only set out about 2 months ago, in the story's chronological order - There have been Words of Power Hunters 30 years BEFORE HE WAS EVEN BORN.

Also, take note of how Katachi could proficiently use , but cannot use , and that well. Just having more doesn't necessarily make you more powerful, if you don't have the knowledge to use it.

It's like giving a farmer tools he doesn't know how to use, like the collectivization in the Soviet Union during the recovery period between WW1 and WW2. In that period, farmers were given tractors to reduce the manpower needed on farms, so more farmers could go work in the mines. However, the farmers didn't know how to use the tractors, so they often broke down, turned into a huge metal pile, and instead of performing the work of many with a few, it put a bigger burden onto the country's food supplies.

It's the same theory here! If Katachi can't properly use the Words of Power he has, they could end up hurting him instead, very much like how he injured his shoulder when he was thrown back into the rock!

What I mean here is, that Katachi is not that experienced with his Words of Power yet. He may seem to have a staggering advantage over his opponents for now, but remember that it is only because it's not at the part of his journey where he would encounter other Scholars who are prepared to kill him for his Word of Power. Rekter lost because he had been caught off-guard.

If Katachi hadn't made him gullible, there is no chance in Hell Katachi would have won. He lucked out when their precedence levels were equal because he had read the Chinese- I mean, Anikan books at Mother Rinnesfeld's church to pass time, which passively increased his precedence level. But had he not set the trap beforehand, it would most definitely have been his loss, and his life at that.

I am sorry if I didn't plate out and elaborate on the mind games in the story that well. In a part, these negative comments are my fault for not bringing out the real essence of the story properly. I am still a novice, budding writer, but I've been trying my darndest to present a good fantasy story - It isn't as easy to picture out what I'm thinking with text, as it is with my own voice.

So I try. So I attempt. So, even if I never become a writer, I do my best at it.

I thank you all for your patience with me. I am grateful to you guys for reading my story thus far. I'll do my best at it. Thank you guys. I would also like to thank Tiat Wee for bearing with me, even though he hasn't raised a complaint like that. I guess that having an editor you can talk to is bad, because he knows my plan but doesn't think of it happening in the textual format. It's not really his fault, he's not that experienced of an editor anyway. But still, thank you all.

Signing off,
Cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment