Sunday 21 July 2013

Chapter 32 : Decision

As Katachi trudged onward through the forest area, a familiar scent in the air prompted him, luring him slowly toward a reminiscent ground.

He slowly walked across the dirt path and arrived at a flight of smooth stones laid out in a stair-like fashion.

K : (... I remember this...)

He took off his bag and placed it on the ground gently. Katachi planted his foot on the lowest stone, and slowly stepped upward, bit by bit. The smooth stone didn't seem as slippery as it appeared to be, and after a while, Katachi reached the very top.

He leaned his arm against a familiar tree.

He glanced down, at the small, haven-like meadow from this wonderful vantage point - The beautiful meadow where he would watch the Plaincoat Sheep graze. The lookout where he would longingly stare at the children of Mielfeud play with each other and the sheep happily.

And...

He saw the nostalgic root ladder to his left.

K : (... I used to climb that a lot...)

Katachi had often climbed the root ladder repeatedly when he was very young but had stopped at the age of 8 when Mother Rinnesfeld claimed that it was too dangerous. Now, however, a strong, reminiscent urge overcame him - And he climbed down the roots once more.

Katachi slowly made his way down, solidly jamming the soles of his sabots onto the roots, and landed on the soft, fragrant grass.

The place where he was found by Mother Rin.

The herb ledge – His oldest and fondest memory of Mielfeud.

Katachi took off his sabots and felt the warmth of the earth beneath his feet.

K : (... Welcome back.)

Katachi sat on the rock he frequented back when he hadn't gone to Bellpot. Usually, Katachi would reach the ledge via a small, sandy path, but having taken the root trail his old habits kicked in and sat on the rock instead of the stump.

The neglect on the rock had caused moss to grow over it thinly while the stump now had a pansy sprouting from it.

K : (It has only been two months, but I didn't think I would miss this place so. Two months is enough for me to start missing this place... I miss Mother Rin too.)

A red Grovelark chirped merrily, and flew onto a vine, pecking at the little Barkshell aphids.

K : (... That red-haired lady... Does her family miss her? She is fighting to become stronger. I guess she is trying to protect her family and farm, which is pretty admirable. Even if she didn't want to, she has to.)

Katachi stared at the little bird for a while.

K : (... I kind of like that noble personality. Just, sort-of. It deserves praise, most definitely. She's beautiful, noble, strong, and devoted. She is a great fortune for any man whom would wed her...)

*Cozy's Notes : A great fortune, indeed. You become king, get all the wealth of Rugnud, a great, faithful wife if you manage to have her fall for you seriously, a load of servants, respect from everyone in the country, she sure is a god-damn jackpot. Katachi didn't mean it that way, but that's because he doesn't know that she's a princess. If only you knew, Katachi. If only you knew.*

The little Grovelark took off towards the sky.

K : (... I should go back while the sun hasn't reached its peak. I wouldn't want to bake under the scorching heat.)

*** ***

Katachi finally arrived at the little town he grew up in. And, just as he had guessed, the familiar figure was waiting for him at the entrance.

K : (It's her.)

Roberia unfolded her crossed arms and pushed herself forward, out from a standby, wall-leaning posture to a battle stance, withdrawing the sword with curved blades. Katachi greeted her by putting down his bag to a side and faced her with a sorrowful, yet headstrong determination.

R : (If I lose here... I may as well die. Losing to someone like him, a commoner like him nobody recognizes... It is the ultimate humiliation, especially with a weapon like this. It doesn't matter if he has a Word of Power.) "... I will make this painless. Brace yourself, Kotsuba Katachi."

K : "... I'm not even surprised that you're here now. It's been 3 days since the last time we fought, and I see you've gotten yourself another weapon."

R : "This one will be the last one you will see, I assure you." (... Because everything I have is now on the line. This battle will make me... Or break me.)

K : (Please, stop fighting me.) "Well, it looks like a legitimate weapon."

R : "Enough talk! I will end you right here!"

Roberia primed her new weapon towards Katachi's body.

K : (Do you not see...)

And, with a glow and a howl, a powerful gush of air lashed forth from the sword.

K : (... How much your family misses you? 恒. Constant status - Self.)

A golden word formed on Katachi's chest, this time in plain view, without being hidden underneath his ragged shirt.

The wind roared past him, and he withstood it without even a flinch.

R : (What!? He... He didn't get hurt by that?!)

Katachi slowly walked forward towards Roberia.

K : (... Your attacks are all useless...)

R : (He's... Going to do it again...) "No... Don't... Don't come any closer!"

She feared his approach. The routine was about to happen all over again - He would close the gap, force the weapon into a rough position, and fixate it.

Even before the actual battle had begun, Roberia foresaw what was to come. She wildly swung blasts of air and continuous, streaming gales towards Katachi, to little effect.

The house behind him had started wearing down and was quickly crumbling off from the powerful winds. The erosion prowess of the blade proved dangerous for those unprepared to face that strength, but what overwhelming strength it showcased meant nothing in the face of absolution.

As powerful as the enchanted wind blade was, it proved ineffective against Katachi's .

R : (This is... Far less useful than the piece of crap Pybuit gave me... !!)

*Cozy's Notes : Thanks for the heads-up, Captain Obvious, but that's the point. An Indictor's purpose is to fight against Scholars with ease, duh.*

Roberia tried leaping backward and moving away from Katachi using the winds by the blade. She threw herself about everywhere, but she didn't have time to condition herself to the unconventional means of movement. As such, Katachi quickly caught up after a few attempts.

K : (... So, for your family that misses you, for the friends in your village...)

Katachi was now less than a meter away from Roberia. Instinctively, Roberia diagonally slashed at Katachi's body, only for the sword to be stuck on his shoulder.

R : "Wha-..."

K : "... Please... Give up."

A formed on the wind blade.

R : "No! NO!!..."

Roberia's face twisted into one of pain, and anguish. She knelt on her knees and clutched her stomach and chest tightly.

R : (I'm sorry, Father, brother, everyone... I have failed. I can't even beat a mere beggar.) "... I can't go home like this. I'm a failure."

K : (She's worrying for her family... Perhaps her family is under some sort of threat? Maybe she hasn't reached a point of strength that can repel the threats to her family and farm?) "..."

R : (Living on is useless now. I lost. It's a complete, utter failure. I got in over my head, and thought that I would be strong, but this... This dirtbag defeated me...) "Kill me..."

K : "!? Wha- What are you saying!? I can't kill you! Segus forbids killing!"

R : (Segus, he says?... This... This is the ultimate smack of disgrace. The worst. I lost to a peace-loving Segus follower. A peace-loving, passive, weak Segus follower younger than me, who doesn't even train himself as strictly as I do.) "...You... You are a follower of Segus?"

K : "Yes... I am... ?"

R : (... My life is over. Utterly, utterly over.) "I lost to a Segus follower... That itself is the most horrific manifestation of all my nightmares."

K : (... She seems pretty down... What... What do I do? Should I...)

*** ***

*Cozy's Notes : Choice time. Make your choice, reader. And from there... The story unfolds differently.*

A ) Persuade her to go back to her family?
B ) Work out her problem and give her advice?
C ) Grant her wish and kill her? (lol obvious bad end)
D ) Put an end to her nightmare?

No comments:

Post a Comment