Saturday 12 July 2014

Great news while I write the next Messiah chapter!

Cozy :

I have finally finished Fate/Stay Night, Fate route.

Yeah, it's a small accomplishment, I know, but I finally finished it.

It's not that I lack my sources of inspiration, but I lack the motivation to write, so I took the time to read through the Fate route, and the ending...

... Ahh, that ending. That classic 'Last-line-you-hear-from-the-lover-is-I-Love-You-before-something-separates-them-permanently' trope. It's beautiful. It's sad. It's wonderful.

It's unreal.

My focus on WoP Quest is realism. It sounds almost insane, with how the world has Gods, and magi, and Creatures like Yvolki and Hraxiif, and all of those stuff.

But I still focus on realism. If I can express my thoughts for this story, it would be this.

Words of Power Quest is a story about a young boy who travels his world and gathers the 292 Words of Power (or die trying) and the trials and ordeals he has had to overcome.

It's true that WoP Quest holds similarities to the Deltora Quest series - I've held a comparison of it before in a previous post. But it also holds similarities to Fate/Stay Night.

Fate/Stay Night is well-known for the way the story itself is written. The usage of many short sentences to detail a series of actions, the feelings and thought processes of the characters and good usage of the elements it uses, they are all well-written. This style of writing is very popular in light novels.

My story's writing style is actually the exact opposite. Yes, it is also written in a light novel format, but the sentences are all phrased in a strange, obscure way that keeps you guessing and assuming the actual events that have happened in the story. Instead of throwing everything at the reader, the shards and fragments of what is remained stays there, and it's up to the reader to piece it together themselves - Very, very much like what Dark Souls has done. There's a mix of glass shards scattered across the ground, and how you piece and reform them into their original form is your choice.

The distinction in writing style makes it hard to see similarities between both stories, but it is there.

Shirou has a Noble Phantasm with him for a very long time, since he was rescued by Kiritsugu.
Katachi has a Curse Word within himself, before he became human, while he was still a sperm.

Shirou gradually learns to harness the power of his Projection magic, and uses it to save himself many times.
Katachi's mastery of his intuition from his childhood abuse proves to be a tide-turner for many of his battles.

There are many more similarities, but these two should be more than enough to show how alike the stories are. It looks like it's nothing big, like I'm just talking about the very base of the characters' drafts, but they definitely have a lot of similarities between them.

I would go far enough to say that Katachi is a darker, sadder version of Shirou. Of course, there are differences between them as well, but those are there to put a rift between them, so that you can distinguish them clearly without calling Katachi a carbon copy of Shirou.

For example, Emiya Shirou is a kind and dense person who seems oblivious to things with implicit meaning.
Katachi, on the other hand, has to interpret everything with a hidden, deeper meaning as a force of habit trained from his many wary experiences with the townsfolk of Mielfeud. It doesn't mean that Katachi isn't kind, but he's socially awkward because of his childhood and past. His behaviour and defensive nature is one clear distinction to prevent Katachi and Shirou from being too alike. It would be bad if I copied a character too far, after all. Also, I generally liked the way I presented Katachi - He feels distinct, unique, and real in that aspect.

And, well, the various characters all have their own depths and backstories. Most of that depth is centered around Katachi and Roberia because they are the story's protagonists, but I have plans to reveal the backstories of these various side characters and this large cast. (We're not even 1/3rd into the full cast of characters in the story. There are more to come, y'know :3 And Ian Bloodcrust is one of the Elites.)

Well, here's how I like to put the amount of depth and detail.

*** ***

1st place ) Katachi & Roberia

2nd place ) Important characters & Elites (Mother Rinnesfeld, Bertund, Ian Bloodcrust, Gahrel & Elise, Aozu Makoto, Byr, Lacuedia, Jullan, Cosette, there's so many)

3rd place ) Minor characters (Mr. Jiel, Mr. Lapp, Cestia, Loar, unnamed students, vagrants & beggars that don't impact the story a lot etc etc.)

*** ***

For 1st place, 75% of the story is through their eyes.

For 2nd place, they will have their own side stories after I finish all 3 routes, so that's after Endus Reignum and they come as a bonus.

For 3rd place, they will be implied or mentioned across the story, as the people who spread the rumors, etc. Their stories can be inferred from the way they speak, the way the act and interact, etc.

*** ***

Generally, that's what I have planned. It's my current attack plan for writing this story, even if I do not profit from it at all.

Cuz I wanna. Because I want to give a good effort for the very first story I have written. (That means you, WoP Quest. <3 I love ya. ♥)

And, if I want to, I'll self-publish this as multiple books. The part where the routes begin is a nice place to start a new book at, etc. (These books are going to be THICK. lol)

I haven't even begun heavy editing the story. I plan to polish and brush up the parts at the front, add some more descriptions and some 'bulk' to fatten the story up. Though... I could leave it as it is, skin and bones, since I love it that way and text containing pure maximalism like in The Pale King is just not my style. Why obsess over every detail when it's not going to affect the story in any significant way, am I right? (hint hint Chekhov's Gun hint hint)

Well, this is just a short update on what I've been doing, etc.

I hope to see the continued patronage of these wonderful people who have put effort into reading this story.

... My very first, and by far the longest story I have written.

I don't need it or expect it to be super famous or popular. In fact, I don't care if nobody reads it at all. But to those who have...

My deepest thanks. Not for adding 1 to the number of views on that page, but for giving the story a chance to be read.

The next chapter is about Deku battling Yvolki. Loads of things I gotta consider here and there, so it'll take a while. Also, Roberia devises a plan to save her, and Katachi's hides as they travel towards Rugnud.

Enjoy the next chapter. I'm sure the action won't disappoint.

Signing off,
Cozy

No comments:

Post a Comment