Sunday 23 June 2013

Deku Up! 2

D : "So, what do you children usually like doing?"

T : "Seiene usually likes loathing around and sleeping. I like lores and stories."

D : "I see. So you like stories, Totta?"

T : "Yes, yes I do, very much. Especially the legend of Diehl and Urdythari."

D : (Well, that's no surprise, their epic tale is, even now, one of the best tragedies. I'm surprised she knows the book at this young an age.) "Okay... So, what would you like to read or hear about?"

Totta looked away towards the window, and swung her feet about while sitting on the stone chair made for her (by Deku). Her eyes widened a bit, and she looked at Deku.

T : "... Well, I've heard Dad talk about it, but I haven't really got the chance to understand something."

D : "Understand what?"

T : "The Words of Power."

D : "!!" (The Words of Power!? Wha- She's already prompting the difficult questions already... As expected of Mister Jiel's children, they sure are difficult to manage...)

Deku retracted his head back a little bit at the request made by Totta.

D : (... Someone help me with this. I can't possibly tell her something I haven't fully understood myself...) "Uhm, Totta, I don't know quite just yet how to explain that to you. Maybe another day, when I'm fully prepared for that question, okay?"

T : "... Okay..."

Totta pouts at the ugly response.

D : (... I made her mad...)

And before the situation got more awkward, a knocking was heard on the door.

D : (? Who could that be?) "Come in!"

The door opened, and a girl of silver hair came in.

"Ex... Excuse me, are you Deku?"

D : "Yes."
T : "He is."

"Then... I have a question I'd like you to help me with, Deku."

D : "Go ahead. Have a seat."

Deku directed the girl to a seat made completely out of crude stone.

D : "Right, what's your name?"

A : "I... I am Aldia."

D : "Aldia, is it... Okay. What did you want to ask about?"

A : "Uhm... Deku, I don't seem to understand the relationship and roles of Segus and Ilpoh."

D : "Ahh, that's a classic. Go ahead, ask away."

T : "Who's Saggus and Ewpoh?"

D : "Totta, it's SEGUS and ILPOH. Not Ew-, Il-. AI EL."

T : "I L?"

D : "Yes. I L. They are an interesting pair, each with their own teachings and religion."

A : "Yes, uhm... Ilpoh is a warmonger, whom believes that fighting and conflict helps people grow and mature. Whereas... Segus is a legend that trusts a path of peace, that tells people to follow their heart. Yet, the titles they are given are sort of... Confusing."

D : "You mean how Ilpoh is associated with order while Segus is often paired with chaos?"

A : "Yes, that's it! Ilpoh fights and destroys, he battles and conquers, yet how is he the Constable of Order? And, and, Segus is a peace lover, whom does practically no harm to about anyone in general, yet he's the Revenant of Chaos? I really don't get why their names are mixed up like that..."

D : "That's because you have the roles and ideals of Ilpoh and Segus wrong."

A : "? What do you mean?"

D : "Ilpoh is regarded as a Constable of Order, because he claims that one ought to live his life under a standard, a code of conduct. One must pay respects to those whom have passed on. One must obtain thy food through rightful means. One ought not to betray thyself. Ilpoh is strict, and orderly in such a fashion. His followers too believe that it is rightful to follow such a code of conduct, to be an exemplary person. Their uniform behavior and orderly fashion gave birth to his title as Constable of Order."

A : "Oh... I, I never thought of it that way..."

D : "As for Segus, he simply tells people to trust their hearts. He tells them that the first thing that comes to their mind is correct, and there is no need to follow anything else because the others are distractions to what one ought to follow. He believes that people are good-natured to begin with. Sadly, what is 'right' isn't clearly defined, and so, because of many variations and lack of proper standing as to what is 'right', followers of Segus have a wide range, which is quite chaotic, to be honest."

A : "... I didn't think it could become like this... So, being too kind and compassionate actually results in this kind of disorder..."

D : "Indeed. Being considerate for the other person could also mean not to meddle with their own way of life, so in a sense, yes, his compassion for others created such chaos."

A : "..."

D : "Is there anything else you'd like to ask?"

A : "... They aren't really that related to each other, are they?"

D : "No, they're not. Segus and Ilpoh are different altogether. Ilpoh is an actual God, while Segus is a Legend who has the qualifications to be a God. They don't have a conflicting history with each other unlike Croxa and Sha'koth, they don't even fight with each other in the first place. At all. In fact, they and their followers have been seen getting along with each other well, respecting each other as equals."

A : "I... I'd have imagined that they would have quarreled or fought with each other at least once..."

D : "I'd have thought that at first as well, but surprisingly, they don't fight at all. I guess that they are simply two different beings, each with their own approach to what an ideal person is. They don't need to conflict with each other because their end result is still the same."

T : *yawns*

D : (Totta is tired? Well, maybe she handles reading better than simply listening.) "Oh, sorry, Totta. Are you tired?"

T : "I can still manage..."

D : "Don't push yourself. Go sleep. Come on, come along now, this way."

Deku pulled Totta towards the bed in the room, and laid her upon it slowly.

D : "Sleep well."

T : "... Okay."

D : "Right. Sorry, Aldia, could you come by another day? Totta is tired right now."

A : "Okay."

The silver haired girl whispered back and took her leave.

*** ***

B : "Job well done again, mister Deku."

Bertund opened the door and undid the locking seal, indicating the end of the day.

D : "I don't know... I'm not completely used to this yet. Totta's quite easy to handle because she can talk, but I have no idea what Seiene wants. He just loiters around the room and stares blankly at things."

B : "Don't worry too much, mister Deku. Your role as caretaker is to ensure they are safe, and to guide them on a healthy diaeta. Don't worry too much - They may be in their developmental stage, but most of the time children are a lot more capable than they appear to be."

D : "... Okay then. Today's a good day."

B : "Indeed. I'm glad you find the intrusion of Aldia pleasant rather than annoying."

D : "Wha- How did you know?!"

B : "She came into my office this morning to ask me that question, but I had her go to you for the answer."

Deku's face stoned.

D : "You mean to tell me... You're going to have me handle questions like that, just to cover for you and your laziness?"

B : "There are two things incorrect with that statement. First of all, I am pretty busy myself, so pushing aside unimportant work like this is part of my job. And second, you're not going to handle questions alone."

D : "!! What... What do you mean?" (Do... Do I get a partner? A fellow caretaker to pass the time?)

B : "You'd be handling requests to learn magic or lore as well."

Deku's brows slanted steeper.

D : "... You're the worst principal I have ever met."

No comments:

Post a Comment